Planning a wedding requires an infinite number of preparations. The simplest thing is to put ideas on paper and organise them by time in an agenda or a notebook.
Avoid anxiety and begin to plan everything a year or nine months in advance. From there, take note of the tasks that you must complete, at which time, to have a perfect wedding.
Here is a calendar proposed by a professional wedding planner who works with various wedding venues in Oxford so that you can organise everything you need to do.
12 months before:
- Set the date you want to get married.
- Choose what kind of wedding you want: civil or religious.
10 to 9 months before:
- Calculate the approximate number of guests. This will make it easier for you to fix your budget.
- Start selecting places: find out how they celebrate weddings in each one.
- Make a list of the extras, prioritise according to the budget.
8 months before:
- Decide a wedding style. Choose the theme you want. Something traditional, original, or fun?
- Select the photographer, videographer and music.
- Get to work with documents and necessary papers. Remember that without them you will not be able to marry.
- Make a short list of the visited sites and start to filter them, agree the conditions with the venue, and start focusing on the catering and menu.
6 months before:
- Start making the wedding list.
- Decide where your honeymoon will be.
- Order the invitations. Do you know how many? Divide the number of guests by two, and add 20; one invitation per couple and one per family.
- Look for your wedding dress, the groom’s suit, bridesmaids’ dresses, etc.
- Keep working on the honeymoon.
- Complete the premarital course in the event that you marry in church.
- Be clear about the paperwork.
- Inform your guests, even if you still do not send them the invitations.
- Hire a DJ or band to provide music at the event.
4 months before:
- Confirm the suppliers: flowers, details for guests, venue decorations, rental car, photoshoot, etc.
- Book the place where you will celebrate.
- Hire buses for the guests if they are going to be needed.
- Finalise hairdresser, makeup artist, bridal shoes, and any other wedding attire.
- Reserve the menu tasting.
3 months before:
- Send the invitations by mail or hand deliver them.
- Buy the rings.
- Finalise the fitting of the wedding dress, bridesmaids, pages, etc.
- Choose the menu once you have done the tasting.
- Choose witnesses.
- Buy gifts for guests and decorative details for the big day.
- Organise makeup, hairdressing and dress rehearsal.
A month before:
- Confirm the definitive guest list.
- Do the tests of hairstyle, makeup and wedding suit.
- Schedule an appointment for a beauty or relaxing treatment.
- If you have contracted a photo session pre-wedding, it is time to do it.
- Finalise the floral theme: bouquet and decorations.
- Conclude everything related to the honeymoon: hotels, flights, train reservations, car, etc.
- Check that you have all the papers in order, including your IDs or passports.
- Start organising the banquet.
One week before:
- Organise the tables.
- Prepare your suitcase and any documentation for the honeymoon.
- Confirm the final guests.
2 days before:
- Manicure, pedicure and waxing.
- Have the groom’s suits ready.
- Take care of yourself: no copious meals or alcohol. Rest well!
Finally, the wedding day:
Although you have prepared everything with love and care, there may be some unforeseen last-minute things to attend to. Ask for help from your closest relatives and friends, and those responsible for each component of the event, catering, flowers, transport, etc.
At this point, just sit back and enjoy your perfect wedding day!